Re: [Debconf-team] DC15 Budget discussion - Review now - Meeting on Thursday, March 12th - 19:30 UTC

also sprach David Bremner <david@tethera.net> [2015-03-09 20:05 +0100]:
> I'd like to see the travel sponsorship split into an amount for
> internal use (sponsoring key volunteers) and the "normal" part
> allocated by bursaries.

That's easily done and possibly already included. The travel
sponsorship budget is already split between "backed" and "unbacked"
sponsorship. The idea here is that the Debian Project could "back"
an amount of X EUR so that this money we know we'll have for sure,
while the rest must be earned in fundraising.

It's not too far a stretch to say that Debian would have a vested
interest in ensuring the participation of key volunteers, so to me,
I'd say those people should be booked against this account.

We can also easily create more accounts and split the "backed" funds
up further. Or create a new class. Anything goes.

> I don't know how much to put in each line, but from my point of
> view, one of the main goals of modifying the allocation process is
> to make the amount spent on volunteers transparent.

Maybe the best (and only) way to do this would be to look at
previous years and then extrapolate a guess?

Don't let the current figure (27.5k I believe) put you off. I built
the budget bottom-up, so whenever more money became available (or
reasonably certain), I'd allocate it to expenses as I saw fit. In
some ways, this is how it'll have to be done, since we will have
a cap at the top somewhere. But you may be able to figure out
percentages from the past. Or we'll make DC15 be the first year,
keep track of this in the books and then build next year's budget
based on that.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org