Re: [Debconf-team] proposal for combining ranking factors for travel grants

Hi,

Thanks for this impressive work. It's nice how it looks very fair
and very simple at the same time.

On 21/02/15 at 14:46 +0100, David Bremner wrote:
> h) In case we need to fund a partial "cohort", we need some way to order
>    the cohort. We could sort that cohort according to contribution
>    score. E.g. if our budget is between 5000 and 6500, we would fund 19
>    but not 7. Or maybe a lottery, e.g. random permutation would be more
>    fair.

I still have doubts about that. While it's nice to have an initial
budget to get an idea of where we are going regarding travel
sponsorship, I think that the ranking produced by the team could be used
to negociate the final amount. Based on the ordered list of cohorts, the
team could recommend drawing a line somewhere ("We recommend that the
first four groups are funded"), and I think that it would be totally
reasonable for the DPL to change the amount of Debian money used for
Debconf in light of the actual travel sponsorship requests.

> Congratulations. You either read the whole thing, or skipped to the end.

:-)

Lucas