Re: [Debconf-team] Food [Re: Registration questions]

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 4:11 PM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
>   Food preferences:
>     None
>     I like to eat meat and fish
>     No animal products for me (vegan, strict vegetarian)
>     Other / allergies (contact organisers)

After some more thought, I think this phrasing would only lead to
confusion, hence discussions, hence time sinks.

What about:

Dietary restrictions:
  * none
  * vegan
  * other: <text field>

If you ask people how often, precisely, they want meat, they start to
bikeshed. If you give give them a bucket of really good pasta, they
will not even think about it while happlily gorging themselves on His
noodly appendages.

Richard

PS: The above leaves out "vegetarian" as that's a minefield of what
they consider vegetarian or not and you end up with multi-dimensional
tables. Which you then fold back into "vegan" as everything else does
not scale.