Re: [Debconf-team] Rough timeline idea for DC15 and the CfP

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 11:49:51AM +0100, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> >   - And by that time, we would like to have at least some events/talks
> >     announced for people to make an informed decision.
>
> I find this difficult, but we can try it.  Usually people already knows
> DebConf either by checking past year program and reading reports of the
> non-conference and social parts.
>
> If one is not so sure about attending DebConf, probably it will attend
> only few days, and having few talks without scheduling will not help so
> much.
>
> I don't see much overlap on sponsored people with air-travel sponsorship
> and such people who need to know the program before registering.

[...]

> > For many people, the decision of registering to attend DebConf depends
> > on work and family, and priorities will depend also on the conference
> > offerings.  On the other hand registering blindly for DebConf is
> > being done by some of the regulars (because event offerings aren't top
> > priority anyway), but this probably doesn't apply to the majority.
>
> Registering blindly is very common.  So we have also the reconfirmation
> deadline later.  And really many people change plans (few days,
> cancelling attendance, ...). And it happens also with speakers.
>
> I'm not sure that opening CfP earlier will diminish such missed
> reconfirmations, and thus missed opportunity to sponsor people.

Another thing to keep in mind about the timeline is that some people
might only get to DebConf as a business trip, and their employer might
only approve it if they present something.  So for them, having the talk
accepted (well, or turned down) before the airfares are rising hight
would also be important.

Michael