Re: [Debconf-team] Updated budget for DC14

On 2014-03-27 19:52, Steve Langasek wrote:
And to any members of the DC15 team who may be reading this with alarm: note
that our max budget is for 143 sponsored attendees, and a $45k travel
budget. The budget is set with high margins, to try to ensure we don't have to turn anyone away who wants to attend; but in practice, the bursaries team has usually run out of people to sponsor before running out of money. So
there's a very good chance that a sizable portion of this bursaries
allocation will be yours next year, no matter what else happens. :)

Please stop propagating the "next year's DebConf inherits surpluses (but not loan liability)" idea....

All DebConf money is Debian money. We have agreed that Debian will fund gaps in the DebConf budgets, rather than requiring it to be self-sustaining each year, on the basis that surplus is absorbed back into Debian funds. (Previously, we hadn't given up surpluses, but had taken quite a lot from Debian general funds.)) I agree with your point to the extent that if we make consistent surpluses we can more easily draw on them, but also remember that one year we could have a real disaster and want to draw on a larger amount of general funds unexpectedly.

Thanks,

--
Moray