Re: [Debconf-team] Proposed DC14 schedule within: Re: DebConf14 Dates And Upcoming Decisions

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 04:59:50PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 06:50:20 -0700, Patty Langasek wrote:

> > On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:08:53PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > It would be great if at some point someone local could provide a few
> > > directions for that (e.g. recommend a hotel with suitable meeting
> > > rooms).
> > I'd be happy to gather a few hotel recommendations - the first I can point
> > at is University Place Hotel [0], which was our "backup" venue - it's right
> > across the street from Portland State University, and often hosts
> > conferences.  I might be able to talk to the PSU comp sci department and get
> > them to "host" these sprints, which could help get a discounted rate through
> > the hotel as well.

> Cool, thank you!
>
> So it seems that with a different title and in a building a (few?)
> block(s?) from the DebConf hotel+venue, DebCamp should be possible.

Targetted team sprints should be possible. Please make note that my reply
was in response to Lucas pointing out an *ALTERNATIVE* to DebCamp, which
would be targetted team sprints.  While we can probably get a discount at
UPlace, the prices for anything there are going to be significantly higher
than the university itself, even *with* the discount.  And, while this could
save on travel costs for Debian, those savings might end up, in the long
run, be eaten up by the higher costs of meeting spaces and hotel rooms. With
this *ALTERNATIVE* to DebCamp option on the table, we'd have to make a
decision as to the size of the small groups, and length of time, etc. as a
group in a very timely manner to make it happen.

So, yes, this can be an option. If the global team and chairs determine that
the cost is justified.

Would Steve's suggestion of an 8 day (or whatever the details come out to)
conference justify a longer trip in place of DebCamp, or the Targetted
Sprints suggested by Lucas?

> Great, I can live with these adjustments :)

Except, the adjustments you're saying you can live with are not the
necessarily the adjustments that were suggested.

Just, please note that quoting my email from a separate subthread could
create some confusion.  My offer wasn't to reach out to UPlace to secure it
for DebCamp.  My offer was to reach out to them for quotes for Lucas' plan
of targetted sprints around the time of DebConf.  *This is a different
proposal from "traditional" DebCamp, Scrapping DebCamp, or incorporating
DebCamp into DebConf.*

Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski