Re: [Debconf-team] Proposed DC14 schedule within: Re: DebConf14 Dates And Upcoming Decisions

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:50:26 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Clarifying something from Patty's original mail, the precise limits on the
> venue are:
[..]
>  - August 22: earliest date that PSU can accomodate a full set of people in
>    the dorms
[..]

Just to clarify: does this mean that the dorms are available in
theory earlier for a smaller group of people? If yes, do you happen
to know the dates / number of places?

> So the driving factor for the above two discussion points is that I dislike
> the DebCamp / DebConf split and always have.  Americans by and large don't
> have the vacation time to take for a two-week event like this, and even
> though I'm fortunate enough to have an employer who will send me to DebConf
> for work, even for me two weeks is too much.  And I don't want to be
> responsible for organizing an event that I myself would not be interested in
> attending.

Ok, that explains a lot :)

On the other hand, I guess I'm not the only one who's not happy about
the idea to spend 2 days in airplanes and airports for only one week.
(Yes, I can and -- if I attend DC -- will spend more time in the US
before or after the conference.)

Anyway, I understand perfectly that you don't want to personally
organize an event you are not interested in.

> I also don't think that DebCamp has been fulfilling
> its stated purpose, lately: originally, this was conceived as a way to
> support teams in hacking collaboratively, but it's largely been replaced by
> team sprints in recent years:

This is where I disagree. In my opinion and experience, sprints are
not a replacement for DebCamp, for several reasons:
- AFAIK, there are hardly any sprints with participants from more
  than one continent, for obvious time and money constraints.
  Gathering people around DebConf is much cheaper, since they travel
  only once, and also saves travel time.
- DebCamp for me is not only about work in one team but also about
  cross-team cooperation (or work of individuals with others or with
  teams or whatever combination).

> the workplans submitted for sponsorship to the
> most recent DebCamp included mostly solo projects, not teams getting
> together to work.

From my experience, the workplans submitted before don't completely
mirror what's happening at DebCamp, since a a lot develops while and
through being there.

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 23:08:53 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> An option could be to organise a few focused sprints in Portland just
> before DebConf. Given that it's a good way to minimize travel costs,

Right, renaming DebCamp to "Cross-Team Sprint" has also come
to my mind before :)

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 06:50:20 -0700, Patty Langasek wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:08:53PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > It would be great if at some point someone local could provide a few
> > directions for that (e.g. recommend a hotel with suitable meeting
> > rooms).
> I'd be happy to gather a few hotel recommendations - the first I can point
> at is University Place Hotel [0], which was our "backup" venue - it's right
> across the street from Portland State University, and often hosts
> conferences.  I might be able to talk to the PSU comp sci department and get
> them to "host" these sprints, which could help get a discounted rate through
> the hotel as well.

Cool, thank you!

So it seems that with a different title and in a building a (few?)
block(s?) from the DebConf hotel+venue, DebCamp should be possible.

Great, I can live with these adjustments :)

Cheers,
gregor, who also agrees with Judit that
        "without Debcamp, Debconf itself will change"

   `-   NP: Pogues: If I Should Fall From The Grace