Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf 13: Call for Papers

Hi Debconf team,

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 01:30:41AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 07:42:54AM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > This year, we will continue to organize some talks into thematic
> > tracks. If you have a proposal for a DebConf track, such as "Debian
> > Science", "Debian Infrastructure", and "Community Outreach", please
> > contact debconf-team@lists.debconf.org. If you would like to be a
> > track coordinator, please volunteer on that list. Talks will be added
> > to tracks at a later date.
>
> Has somebody volunteered to organize a science track yet?  In general, I
> would volunteer if nobody else steps up, but I am not sure it makes
> sense as the deadline for abstract submission is nearby and I don't know
> if we have any science related submissions yet.

I was wondering whether tracks could maybe be let to self-organize a
bit, by loosening the deadline requirement and letting them schedule
their talks in a half-day (or possibly day, for really popular tracks?)
slot themselves.  I guess the talks selection team should still be in
the loop to guarantee an appropriate level of quality.

On the other hand, this would imply choosing tracks pretty soon so I am
not sure this is feasable if it is welcome at all.

Michael