Re: [Debconf-team] Call for Help: DebConf travel sponsorship team

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:12:37PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> So, if you want to be a part of the team, please mail
> lists.debconf.org (and to make it easier to stay in the right thread,
> please reference Message-ID <[🔎] 20130507213815.GA56293@gwolf.org>)
> letting us know.

(Heh.  making people edit References: headers in their mail client, kind of
a high bar, isn't it? ;)

>   We are trying to assemble a large enough (but not too large?) team
>   to help us rate the travel sponsorship requests for DebConf13. Many
>   aspects are still open to debate, but most probably we will follow
>   the usual, past years' procedure.

>   Are you interested in helping us?

If more volunteers are still needed for the Herb team, I'd be willing to
participate.  I have been a member of the team in the past and am familiar
with the general principles.

> What do we need from those who volunteer?

> First, during the next *few* days, we want to finish debating how will
> this process be, what should be weighed more and taken into account,
> and finish delineating the dates. If I remember correctly, the
> deadline for requesting this sponsorship is on Sunday 2013-05-19, and
> we are aiming at producing the results in early June (June 1st, did I
> hear?)

I would hope that this process decision is made by the DebConf team as a
whole, and not by the Herb team exclusively, as I think a certain
"separation of powers" is necessary here.  To be precise, the decision about
sponsorship /criteria/ should not be made by the Herb team alone; the Herb
team should have the delegated authority to execute on the sponsorship
criteria, but the criteria themselves should be reached through open,
team-wide dsicussion.

> Second, some time and patience. You will have to go through the amount
> of people requesting travel sponsorship (I'd expect ~50-100), look at
> their reasoning as to why they are requesting it, how reasonable their
> requested amount sounds (yes, "reasonable" is too broad a word — The
> team will have to decide about it),

I would like to suggest that any requests that seem "unreasonable" to any
member of the Herb team should be flagged early and immediately result in an
email to the applicant, expressing this concern and requesting
clarification.  Some applicants might have a good reason; others might
choose to request less sponsorship once they understand that this would
impact whether they receive any sponsorship at all.

Cheers,