Re: [Debconf-team] Rethinking the way travel sponsorship works

Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> writes:

> IMHO the travel sponsorship rating process should stay as lightweight as
> it is now. The process you propose just makes things much more
> heavyweight.

Very true, and that would be the main reason not to do it that way.  It
would be very easy to spend the time available sodding about with a
system for combining votes without ever getting round to giving out the
money.

> Your underlying assumption seems to be that the current rating
> system is not fair.

Not really.

The only reason I posted was that Moray appeared to be sifting over the
corpse of one of my old suggestions, and seemed to have missed the point
that I was trying to get across at the time.

So perhaps I was dredging up assumptions I had a few years ago, but I
was mostly starting from the concern that it might seem unfair or simply
opaque to those not involved, and pondering ways to make it so that it
would be easy to see that the process had been designed to be
transparently fair.

If the team from the last couple of years think that there's now enough
diversity, then that's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Also, given that I've repeatedly demonstrated that I'm incapable of
getting myself organised enough to implement any of my mad ideas, I
should probably shut up and let people get on with their difficult jobs.

I _might_ even have time to help this year.
(I never apply for travel sponsorship)

Cheers, Phil.