Re: [Debconf-team] DC12 Travel Bursaries ("Herb Team"): Ping? Discussion?

> ... The team gets the
> responsibility to do it right, as a team; and the attendees crowd should trust
> the team in return.

completely agree. It makes more sense to let a dedicated team allocate
the money than trying to figure out a rating system which will spit
out a list of sponsored people.
I also agree with fil that the 'mission' of the team should be: here
is USD 25k, spend it as it were your money with the option to not
spend the whole budget.

> As a final point, I disagree with cate's proposal to forbid people requesting
> travel sponsorship from joining the herb@ team: people asking for sponsorship
> _are_ a (significant) part of the Debian community and I think we would loose
> some precious diversity by taking them off them the team.

I think, we should really forbid people who request sponsorship for
themselves from being part of the team. Even if they're not allowed to
rate their own application it still influences the other team members
decisions.

I'd help looking at the requested amounts and assist attendees to find
cheaper options to come to LeCamp.
But as I'm also a member of the local team, I'll only join the 'herb'
team, if there are not enough other members. Or I could be a
non-voting member and just assist with looking at requested amounts.

Philipp