Re: [Debconf-team] DC12 Travel Bursaries ("Herb Team"): Ping? Discussion?

On 2013-05-14 07:58, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
As a final point, I disagree with cate's proposal to forbid people
requesting
travel sponsorship from joining the herb@ team: people asking for
sponsorship
_are_ a (significant) part of the Debian community and I think we
would loose
some precious diversity by taking them off them the team. Then, herb@ team members requesting sponsorship must obviously stay off any decisions related
to them.

The main reason to disallow people who ask for sponsorship from being part of the team is to ensure the appearance of correctness/probity.

As has been pointed out, each year we have easily enough (sufficiently knowledgeable) people who are not asking for travel sponsorship, so there is no reason to make the process look murkier by including people who ask for it on the team.

Hypothetically, asking for travel sponsorship yourself might influence ratings of others in a much more complex way, not only change what rating you would give to yourself (rating yourself was already disallowed anyway), might influence your ratings in an unconscious way rather than because you intend to play the system, and also might influence what ratings other people on the team give you, in case you look at their ratings/comments.

(Also, this point has been discussed since several years ago, it's not just "cate's point" ;)

--
Moray