Re: [Debconf-team] Asking NASA for sponsoring DebConf (or simply dedicated DebCamp)

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:56:18AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:19:22AM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> > >    http://www.zdnet.com/to-the-space-station-and-beyond-with-linux-7000014958/

> > >this morning.  Hey, if I look at the stars I can see Debian for some
> > >moments!

> > >So do we have any people "close to NASA" or should just anybody try to
> > >approach them to fill a financial gap to enable DebCamp?  I'd volunteer
> > >to dedicate a part of my work there at some workitems specified by them
> > >(if they have such).

> > We should try to contact them. If they don't sponsor this DebConf,
> > they could sponsor next one.

> Perfectly correct.  Who is this "we"?  I'd volunteer to prepare some
> text if this would be regarded as helpful.

Er, in case you missed it, the US has implemented austerity measures across
the federal government this year, with the result that NASA's outreach
budget is currently approximately 0.

  http://www.universetoday.com/100949/sequester-cancels-nasa-outreach/#ixzz2OcIaS9f6

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but NASA is not well-funded even during
financially good times, so if I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up.