Re: [Debconf-team] Alternative accommodation in Yverdon-les-Bains

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 04:22:53PM +0100, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> On 11.03.2013 16:13, Raphaël Walther wrote:
> >Now, it looks like we need already the final number of room we need.
> >Obviously, she doesn't want me to book 10 rooms and have three people
> >coming at the end.

> Thank you for your job, but it is not really our business going so
> in details. I think we should provide the names of few hotels near
> Le Camp (in the wiki, with ev. few additional information), but we
> should stop there. Reservations, prices and other issues (category,
> room types, etc) should be a task for attendee. Doing it centralized
> is a huge task, which IMHO could cause only problems (no-show,
> overbooking because people forgot to answer mails, etc.)

> Remember one of DebConf motto: "we are not a travel agency"

While DebConf isn't a travel agency, remember that many hotels will offer
conference discounts, but the conference organizers will need to discuss
with the local hotels what's going on and see if they're willing to offer a
conference discount at all.

So, it's a happy medium to get minor information, get minor support from
local hotels and share that information with the attendees.  Thank you,
Raphaël, for looking into the hotel.  Will DebConf attendees be able to
contact them and say they're with DebConf to get the ~10% off the room rate?

Some attendees will be much more comfortable in hotel lodgings, which will
ease a lot of the accommodation burden placed on Le Camp.  The orga team
doesn't have to (and should not!!) make those arrangements *for* them, but
doing minor legwork (such as pre-clearing conference discounts and
announcing which hotels have been contacted) still helps.  :)

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski