Re: [Debconf-team] Thoughts on changing "Permanent sponsors" to a more descriptive "Hosting sponsors"?

On 13031 March 1977, Brian Gupta wrote:

> There was consensus in the sponsors-team meeting today, that labeling
> certain hosting providers as "Permanent sponsors" is suboptimal, as it
> it could confuse our otherwise "permanent" regular "financial"
> sponsors the impression that some sponsorship is more highly valued.

Err. It is permanent as in "all year round, always".

> If one goes to our parent site http://debconf.org/ or the event site
> http://debconf13.debconf.org/ certain sponsors that provide hosting
> are listed in a way that gives them prominence over all of our
> "financial" sponsors who in many cases provide our organization with
> monetary assistance well in excess of the monetary value provided by
> our hosting sponsors.

You calculate this wrong, by just seeing the (yes, comparably) "small"
value what a machine and bandwidth costs. Now, if you want to go and do
all the setup of new machines every year and count that time into it
too, you are welcome, but I think its bad.

> There was agreement that "Permanent sponsors" should be renamed to
> "Hosting sponsors" very soon.

Which isn't entirely true. Like Gandi, they don't host a machine. They
sponsor our domains.

> We also felt that somehow we should normalize the placement of these
> sponsors, but that this could be deferred for future discussion if we
> at least addressed the naming issue.

And while I can understand and partly agree with a rename, "normalize" a
placement? Not sure that can turn out anything good.

Also, if renaming, you want to adjust the www.debconf.org part of our
sponsors. Right now it lists all of them as Permanent sponsors. If you
rename that to Hosting, you do want to show "Media partners" and
"Supporter" for those that fit there better.

--
bye, Joerg
First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the