Re: [Debconf-team] Fwd: [Debconf-sponsors-team] some company

> Betreff: [Debconf-sponsors-team] some company
> Datum: Donnerstag, 15. November 2012
> Von: Raphaël Walther <raphael.walther@gmail.com>
> An: debconf-sponsors-team@lists.debconf.org
>
> Hi There,
> In Neuchâtel there is a huge cigarettes factory with approximatively
> 1500 employees. I think there is a chance they would support us. Before
> searching and investing my time I am asking you : Would you "accept"
> them as a sponsor ?

Debian is a universal and free operating system.  It is quite possible
they are already using and profiting from Debian or other open source
projects that we all contribute to.  So if people really have concerns,
maybe we could talk about loosening the DFSG to allow free software
licenses that prohibit certain industries benefiting from our work...

Looking at it from another angle, people have expressed a preference for
the Le Camp location on the basis that they want to be closer to nature,
a healthy environment, etc.  Having the event sponsored by an
organisation like a cigarette company would appear to be a major
contradiction of those motivations.

I would suggest that negotiations can commence with any company that is
operating lawfully, and the sponsor team can come back to the group once
they have a better understanding.  E.g. if we find 200k from other
sponsors, the sponsor team might privately decline the big tobacco offer
and there is no need for the community to debate the issue.