[Debconf-team] really worried about DebConf

16:43 <moray> gwolf: I understand they *want* that, I'm confused as to
how they make the costs add up to be worse if we just said "shorter or
nothing" though

16:43 <holger> moray, understandable he doesnt want that in the contract
and we dont want to shorten neither. so i dont see much point in
insisting on it. but when april/may comes and we still only have 100k
(or less), we will need to shorten. but seriously, i cannot imagine them
suing us, if we only take services worth 100k and paying those. we might
agree that we'll have to pay a bit more then (so only get services worth
95k for 100k), but... thats ok if you ask me

I really think this is a horrible gamble

I've put a lot of work into investigating a contract that gives us the
flexibility to only pay for the things we can afford, and it lets us
make those decisions about numbers in April, we don't have to commit now
and most likely lose later.

Instead, despite another meeting where shortening was largely preferred,
it is being suggested that DebConf13 commits to a contract that may be
unsuitable while making plans to bully the vendor into changing the
arrangements later.

The fact that some people want two weeks doesn't make it affordable.

If we call Le Camp in April and try to wriggle out of the 2 week
contract, they could just seize the 60k of deposit money and insist that
we pay more money for security or nobody will be permitted to arrive.

If it's not affordable, don't sign, it's better for the good name of
Debian to just go somewhere else, whether it is Interlaken, Fiesch, .de
or .fr.

(Also, Holger is not the one who will be sued because he is not a member
of the dc13 association committee)