Re: [Debconf-team] And regarding the Penta replacement

Hi Mario,

On Mittwoch, 15. August 2012, Mario Manno wrote:
> > cool. Do you think/know whether this years cccongress will already use
> > frab?
> Well I certainly hope so, but the call for participation already
> started. It probably depends on how fast we get frab running and how
> well the pentabarf import works.

right, cccongress needs the penta import as they rely on speakers ratings as
other things...

> > Oh yeah. Do you know "happy" David, the original author, is with your
> > fork? Do you (both) have plans to merge that (soon)? Cause we're just
> > starting with frab and atm its at least unclear to me, which fork we
> > should take and I'd prefer to not fork at all.
> I really don't know. I hope to meet him at FroScon, but I heard he's
> going to be a dad.

ic :-)

> Technically it would be easy to merge, though. (He could simply
> fast-forward to my master branch. David did only a few commits this year
> and I merged them all.) It's really a question about how tightly he
> wants to control the code and the features and how much work he is still
> willing to put into frab.

the database schema is the same?

> A common plugin system would help a lot, as we could keep a common core.
> This was discussed here: https://github.com/oneiros/frab/issues/10

will read, when I'm online again...

> But even then, I've got a lot of fixes in the core, which he would had
> to cherry pick. You can find a summary of my changes here:
> https://github.com/katastrophie/frab/wiki/NEWS

likewiese.

> So if you're going to fork anyways, I'd definitely pick my fork.

that's common saying of almost all programmers :)

> I'm still waiting for confirmation from the FroScon team. I asked them
> for a slot on Saturday. The idea of a developer meeting only occurred to
> me a few weeks ago.

ok

> > Is there a mailinglist as well?
> No there isn't. I could get one on mail.koeln.ccc.de and we could
> collect mail addresses on the developer meeting.

sounds like a plan.

cheers,
	Holger