Re: [Debconf-team] And regarding the Penta replacement

On Mi, 2012-08-15 at 12:39 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 15. August 2012, Mario Manno wrote:
> > I'm maintaining the "katastrophie" frab fork. We used that one for the
> > SIGINT12 conference and I'm currently working towards a CCC-wide frab
> > installation.
>
> cool. Do you think/know whether this years cccongress will already use frab?

Well I certainly hope so, but the call for participation already
started. It probably depends on how fast we get frab running and how
well the pentabarf import works.

> [forks]
> > I hope we can find some common grounds during the developer meeting at
> > the FroScon. It would be great to add a plugin system for example.
>
> Oh yeah. Do you know "happy" David, the original author, is with your fork? Do
> you (both) have plans to merge that (soon)? Cause we're just starting with
> frab and atm its at least unclear to me, which fork we should take and I'd
> prefer to not fork at all.

I really don't know. I hope to meet him at FroScon, but I heard he's
going to be a dad.

Technically it would be easy to merge, though. (He could simply
fast-forward to my master branch. David did only a few commits this year
and I merged them all.) It's really a question about how tightly he
wants to control the code and the features and how much work he is still
willing to put into frab.

A common plugin system would help a lot, as we could keep a common core.
This was discussed here: https://github.com/oneiros/frab/issues/10

But even then, I've got a lot of fixes in the core, which he would had
to cherry pick. You can find a summary of my changes here:
https://github.com/katastrophie/frab/wiki/NEWS

I'll have to admit a lot of these originated from the necessity to make
SIGINT12 happen.

So if you're going to fork anyways, I'd definitely pick my fork.

> Regarding froscon: will the frab developer meeting happen on saturday or
> sunday (or both)?

I'm still waiting for confirmation from the FroScon team. I asked them
for a slot on Saturday. The idea of a developer meeting only occurred to
me a few weeks ago.

> It is :) I'll be happy to show our workflow+tools to you.
great:)

> Is there a mailinglist as well?

No there isn't. I could get one on mail.koeln.ccc.de and we could
collect mail addresses on the developer meeting.

kind regards,
mario