Re: [Debconf-team] Cancellation policy

On 03/08/12 21:05, Judit Foglszinger wrote:
> Why not a much simpler (and less scary) policy like:
> "Refunds are not available regularly,
> but expections can be given by $whoever"
>
> This tells "we will decide, if your reasons are reasonable for us"
> without using ugly lawyer wording.
>
> If someone really needs a harsh refusal text
> for his travel insurance company, then it could be sent on request.

It is not just about giving someone something to help with the insurance

It actually needs to be clear to people that

a) buying the travel insurance may be a good idea and takes pressure off
the DebConf team

b) that the event is, as the ugly wording described, `not for profit'
and subject to the arrangements with venues, catering, etc, there simply
may not be cash available to refund someone who cancels one week before

That is openness and transparency, but the actual words used can
certainly be changed to suit different tastes