Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf13-localteam] DC13 currency issues (renamed)

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:35:26PM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> e) set a deadline for getting signed sponsorship pledges, and tell
> people not to buy plane tickets until DebConf hits the sponsorship target

to protect Debconf if the bills are paid in CHF and the money is received
in NON CHF currency:

f) ask the Swiss government for a currency risk protection:

   http://www.kmu.admin.ch/themen/02395/02417/02418/index.html?lang=fr

They propose a few solutions, for the export industry. Organizing a Debconf
in CH is not exactly an export industry, but you are in effect charging
foreigner in a foreign currency for services that will be delivered
in Switzerland, so it could possibly apply.  Associations can apparently
apply to specific insurances.

   SERV, a public insurance service covering not only change risks.

to protect individuals/enterprises today, while still paying later:

g) use fixed-rate conversion (future rate is protected) through
   Swaps (I am however no economist) -- ask your local bank --
   apparently these are quite cheap.

i) they should deposit the money at their bank as soon as they made
   any promise, on a CHF account.

It may be useful to ask advice from the SECO (Swiss Economy Secretariate)
at this time, 200'000 CHF is indeed not a very small amount.

It may be useful to know that last year, the Federal autorities issued
compensations for most EU funded research projects within Switzerland, and
it even was valid for a renewable energy project running in my city.