Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf travel sponsorship (was: Re: Budget status - travel sponsorship)

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 03:35:20AM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> [debconf-surplus] For readers of -project, here's what this means:
> Sponsors slowly pledge money over the spring, and we usually are in a
> panic about "oh no, we have no money to afford anything".  But as time
> goes on, things get together.  We get a few more sponsors.  We find
> local supporters who will sponsor things locally, or negotiate better
> discounts, or find cheaper venues.  A major source of extra money is
> when many people don't reconfirm, or don't show up, saving us a lot on
> accommodation costs.

It's probably not unreasonable to wonder why many people do not
reconfirm. Is it because they don't know yet whether they'll be
sponsored? If that's the case, then you're now basically saying "most of
the money we'll be using to ensure no sponsored attendee will cancel is
coming from the sponsored attendees who cancel"; that logic is somewhat
flawed.

the following formula:

pi zz a