Re: [Debconf-team] Dates discrepancies

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> wrote:
On 26.06.2012 10:00, Leandro Gómez wrote:
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org
<mailto:cate@debian.org>> wrote:

   Hello,

   On 26.06.2012 <tel:26.06.2012> 01:18, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

       Hi,

       We have different dates set in different pages, and that leads to
       misunderstandings... We would very very much like to avoid!

   We decided in the April meeting the dates (and you were present):

   <http://meetbot.debian.net/__debconf-team/2012/debconf-__team.2012-04-25-18.03.html

   <http://meetbot.debian.net/debconf-team/2012/debconf-team.2012-04-25-18.03.html>>

Part of the local team were not present on that meeting, specially those
of us dealing with Debian Day, and that's where the whole confusion
about dates started.

Debian Day was not doable on Sunday due to some restrictions from the
venue (closed to public, only Debian people has access), so we settled
on Saturday 7th. for Debian Day and Sunday 8th. for DebConf day 1.

Debian Day date is independent to DebConf dates. And being in consecutive dates is not a requirement. IIRC in Argentina Debian Day was in a different city and few days after DebConf. Possibly such different assumption started the confusion.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But Saturday was actually the best option for localteam. We have been told repeatedly that Debian Day is "our problem" and we really wanted it to be part of DebConf in order to have a couple of talks by some of the people coming to the conference.

People discuss about decisions and usually not about assumptions, so the conflict passed unnoticed until now.

This was a decision made after the meeting in consensus with global and
is, after all, what we initially had agreed on. Please see my reply to
Moray here:

http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20120413.031431.f8f1a0e5.en.html

I read:
"""
Sunday, 8 July Debconf arrival day and DebConf begins
DebConf participants are encouraged to arrive this day.
"""
Additionally many flights land at evening, so we cannot have a full day of talk Sunday, and I recommend not to have the welcome talk on Sunday.

I'm not against having the welcome talk on Monday, if you want it that way, but if it's the first day of DebConf we should at least have some talks scheduled and not a day without anything.

ciao
       cate