Re: [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship money (and other money things)

Moray Allan dijo [Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 01:26:04AM +0100]:
> On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 12:42 -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> > - DebConf11 surplus (about 25 k$)
> > - Debian guarentees (10 k$)
>
> This looks like double-counting to me, as my impression was that the
> amount which the DPL agreed to extend as a guarantee would already count
> against the surplus from last year.
>
> But I also don't think that it fits with my view of what was agreed on
> DebConf funding to *aim* to spend that "surplus", rather than to keep it
> for problems that will doubtless occur in future years, if not this one.

For the record, I agree with Moray's points here (and in another mail
he recently sent, which I believe was not sent to -team). We should
not try to use all of the money Debian is allowing us to use. An
expensive DebConf is coming next year, and we need to have
resources. However, having the money available *is* important and
good. I also understood that Debian is allowing us to use the 25K and
up to 10K extra, but we should try to keep the usage as low as
possible (and for the extra 10K, not even take it into account for our
calculations, but save it as funds for unforseen problems).