[Debconf-team] Investigating the Debian involvement in DebConf12

Hi there!

DebConf12 is fast approaching and the DebConf12 organizers are currently
dealing with all the monetary requests.  Given that it will probably not
be possible to fulfill all the travel sponsorship requests, we would
like to know the Debian positions in this regard.

We think that DebConf is an event that clearly improves Debian, as shown
in the past.  It has come to our attention that some people do not
donate do DebConf when contacted as potential sponsors because they have
already donated to Debian, too.  This is why we think that Debian should
help DebConf12.

The current budget is prone to change given the recent announcement
about the involvement of the Nicaraguan government [1].  We will have a
more precise idea of the budget on Friday 8th (I will contact you again
with the detailed budget), so this is in no way an official request yet.

[1] <http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20120602.185904.8e8f5a7b.en.html>

Nevertheless, the deadline for reconfirmation is planned for June 15th
and we would like to grant travel sponsorship requests before that date.
There are currently 36 requests for a total of 34'357.00 USD (out of
total costs of 53'120.93 USD).  If we sort the request from the lowers
to the highers, with 15'000 USD we could fulfill the first 25 requests,
while with 25'000 USD we could reach 33 participants, almost all.

What is the official Debian position?

Best,
Luca, on behalf of the DebConf12 organizers