Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] C&W date

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
Quoting Christian PERRIER (bubulle@debian.org):
> Quoting Holger Levsen (holger@layer-acht.org):
>
> > Not shown on the fotos is a another rather big room we can also use, 200
> > chairs and audio(+video) equipment. The only downside is that its 3km away
> > from UCA, so we need to organize some busses, which the CCEN has experience
> > with and offered to help us.
>
> Ouch, 3km away, that's a challenge. Will people still easily come if
> they're not free to go in and out back to the hacklabs or so? That's
> my concern.

Actually, it's 7km away. 10 minutes by car from UCA.

Another problem is that if you want to leave early, it's quite difficult to get a taxi outside the Cultural Center. You have to walk at least 400-500 meters to the main road to get one.

> Also, how to organize the fact that participants are supposed to bring
> some stuff with them, which the "C&W staff" (made of those people I
> can gather in the days before) arrange together?
>
> The C&W has always been something suppsoed to be informal and closely
> related to the "hacklab life" so that people can choose to "just pop
> up" for some time, then move, then eventually come back, etc.
>
> So, my experience with it has early always been "a place not far from
> the HL". The only time it's been a different place was DC10, in
> another building of the Columbia university.
>
> So I kind of fear the fact of the location being really a different
> place. Are there other options closer to the HL place?

(adding -team)

My stance on this would be:

If there's nothing convenient close to the evening/night hacklabs
place, then go for the Spanish Cultural Center.

We can explore other options. There's a place just across the street from UCA but I'm not sure if it's accesible and we probably have to pay to rent it.

Convenient for me is:
- allows for the Cheese and Wine Team to go there the day before to
arrange things beforehand (at least the afternoon before)
- independent from the hacklabs
- can fit about 2/3 of the Debconf attendees
- has enough tables to arrange the stuff (about 5-10)
- no need for chairs if the place is not very very big
- has a fridge nearby, ideally a kitchen but that's not mandatory
- has no problem with evening noise
- leaves us the option of cleaning out late (so no closing at midnight
or something) or even in the morning after
- IS ACCESSIBLE

As you see, the most important points are "close to HL, enough
space". Those who have been at previous Debconfs know:

- DC11 C&W was OK in that regard but the room were too small. Very
close to hacklabs, with a small kitchen. Only problem: too small.

- DC10 was fine with the room a little bit larger but not
accessible. However in a different building 200m away from the main
place

- DC9 (in the gardens of the place we were at) was perfect, the only
drawback being a quite small fridge

- DC8, in the hotel bar, was really good, but there were less
attendees so size was not a problem

- DC7 was a nightmare to organize..improvised place, very smal, nearly
not accessible, no fridge, nearly no tables....