Re: [Debconf-team] Early travel sponsorship

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:07:53 +0000, Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> wrote:
> Phil and Richard,
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:32:49 -0400, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> > > Phil, would you like to be travel sponsorship team leader next year?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > > I will provide all support needed to make it a success.
> >
> > Oh, alright then.  (I suppose that's what I deserve for saying the V word)
>

> I was looking forward to you two trying a new approach on travel
> sponsorship, but I realise that you're both quite busy just now -- do you
> think you can set something going to avoid us just reverting back to the
> previous slightly broken but known method?

I've been thinking about it in spare moments, but not actually getting
round to doing anything (babies are very distracting BTW :-)

The first thing I should do is ask around for someone that already knows
how to do furthest path on GPG stuff, so we can start our semi-random
victim selector.

>  I'm sure you can find other
> people to do the main work, but it would be useful for the process to have
> an initial prod in the new direction, or it's unlikely to change.

Quite, and deadlines are whooshing past as per usual.  :-)

> Unless we have other volunteers to lead the experiment, from this being
> copied to the list?  Background reading for people who don't know what this
> is about: http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/TravelSponsorship

Well, other volunteers are of course very welcome, but I'd suggest that
we try to make the volunteers non-voting civil servants, preferably not
in need of sponsorship, to avoid the natural tendency towards cliquish.

Just to reiterate the idea I'm pushing:

  Select people that are, initially farthest from me (or from all the
  team members) in the web of trust, probably in small batches, as ding
  this one at a time will take too long.

  Ask the lucky victim to nominate some DD that they would trust to
  allocate debian funds for travel sponsorship (this combines an
  increase in trustworthiness, and an increase in network connectedness
  from the initial effectively random selection).

  Ask the nominee if they're willing, and not in need of sponsorship
  themselves.

Anyone that says yes gets added to the list of GPG that new
victims need to be far from, and we go round that loop until we have
enough people -- if it turns out we need more, just restart the victim
generator.

Then, for the allocation of funds, just ask people to place people in
order of preference as though they were solely and personally
responsible for allocating the funds, possibly including a couple of
markers, like "Should Fund above" and "Should not fund below" -- then we
shove that lot into Condorcet and hope something vaguely useful pops out
the other end.

Cheers, Phil.