Re: [Debconf-team] Questions for global team from UCA

Hi Lenadro,

On Samstag, 3. März 2012, Leandro Gómez wrote:
> Yesterday, I had a meeting with the Technology Academic Advisor and the IT
> Department Chief of UCA, and both of them are very interested in a possible
> DebConf at UCA.

Yay!

> They asked me how DebConf/Debian can help the university.
>
> During the global team meeting we talked about classes or workshops. Is it
> possible to put up a wiki with something like this
> http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf11/SkillsExchange ?

Yup, I guess  this will happen again. In the past usually only quite close to
DebCamp only...

> So that volonteers
> can sign up and UCA can see what we can offer them?

Sure. (Please tell them that we expect UCA attendees to register as well, so
that we can plan, eg also room needs.)

> They also mentioned a couple of other things:
>
> 1. They are considering migrating databases, apps and the teacher's laptops
> to free software. The local LUG at the U and the Debian Nicaragua community
> could help with some practical stuff, but they need someone with experience
> to give them some advice on how to implement such migration.

Great, I'de love to talk to them about using Debian Edu for this.

http://maintainer.skolelinux.org/debian-edu-doc/es/ is a pointer which you
might give them already. (The translation is sadly not complete yet, help
welcome! How is described in that very manual.)

> 2. Books. The IT department need books for their library. The language
> doesn't matter, neither if they're physical or electronic books.

I guess we can easily do a call for books a few weeks before dc12 starts and
quite some people will bring something...

> Overall they're very open on having DebConf at the UCA campus. We even
> talked about using the spaces 24/7 and that's doable.

Nice! Very. (+what Moray said)

> Next step is getting back to them with the answers to their questions and
> meet the head of the department, before the meeting with the vice-dean.

Cool. Good luck & enjoy! ;)

cheers,
	Holger