Re: [Debconf-team] Debconf12 website design

>> Oh, and I hope for a CSS thats not limiting the amount of screenspace in
>> use (width) to something small. :)
> There is an endless discussion about fixed width and fluid width. Mostly
> fluid width is associated with a more generic approach, which, in my
> opinion is not correct, since resolutions differ much in these days
> (with mobile phones and cheap big monitors). A fixed width helps to get
> a nice looking design on different resolutions much more than fluid one.

Well, my point of view isnt that of a designer, but a luser. I simply hate pages
that are about 6cm width in the middle of my screen, leaving 15cm white
to the left and to the right and forcing me to scroll down. The reaction
there isnt "Oh, nice design, probably works best on most platforms", but
more like "ohhhhhhhh, those not-so-smart people, wasting space a lot"
(in probably slightly less polite words :) ).
And thats only 1600x1200 here, it gets worse if you have one of that "HD
shit" wide crap monitors, where there is even less vertical and an
abundance of horizontal space. Or imagine those funny PDA style netbooks
with their 1200x800. Wide it should go, not slim. *IMO*

And for mobile phones - shouldnt/isnt there be a way to get them a different
style?

> The design has a lot of small little details, some of them are geeky and
> funny, others are related to Nicaragua and things that happen around
> here. The idea is that there are things to discover, so you might not
> understand (or find) all details now, but you will find some of them
> when you are here (or reading books, etc). We think that it is nice to
> have a design were you can discover things over time :-)

Yes.

--
bye, Joerg
<mrvn> Anyone with a cdrw/dvdrw drive up for some crazy experiments? Ever