Re: [Debconf-team] Special sponsorship

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 06:47:32PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> While it's not necessary for the committee to know the total travel
> costs, I still think that we should define a broad standard on what is
> acceptable to ask for reimbursement. We don't want must-have-at-debconf
> DDs travel first class and then ask Debian for reimbursement.

Sorry, yes - I do mean that we should trust them to answer *honestly*, but
that doesn't mean we trust them to answer *competently*. ;-)  It may be that
we have someone who will not come to DebConf unless we sponsor a first-class
plane ticket for them.  Well, that person will miss out on DebConf due to
unreasonable sponsorship expectations.  Or they may have failed to
adequately price shop for tickets.  So we should sanity check the numbers as
part of the process, because mistakes happen, but that's entirely separate
from trying to judge the "neediness" of the applicant.