Re: [Debconf-team] Special sponsorship

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 05:03:19PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> In this case, before I agreed to serve on the travel sponsorship committee, I
> expressed reluctance to do so based on this exact concern, and didn't want to
> create the appearance of a conflict of interest. I was told that this issue had

When you had these concerns about jeopardizing the 501(c)3 status of a
corporation to which you have fiduciary responsibility, did you seek
legal advice before proceeding anyway?  If so, did you share this advice
with any other members of the committee?

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 06:46:10PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Out of the 12 members of the herb team, only 6 requested travel assistance.
> Only one of the 6 requested 100% sponsorship, and the amount was relatively
> small. One of the 6 got a non-perfect score due to a large request (still
> reasonable given the geographies) and not addressing financial need in his
> justification. As you can see, the herb team even paid attention to each
> others' responses to the field in penta.

Since the answer to that question is not one of the rating criteria,
was the penalty for my case applied to the "contribution" score or
the "amount" score?  Was the same penalty applied to the sixth person
you mention above?

How did you apply a similar penalty to the other 5 of that group of
6 if they either did not answer one half of that question or did not
answer it at all?

> Percentage of herb-team members applying for sponsorship: 50%
>
> Percentage of herb-team members applying for sponsorship who got a perfect
> score: ~83%
>
> Percentage of non-herb-team sponsorship applicants who got a perfect score:
> ~22%

Thanks, this is very interesting.