Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf11-localteam] Internet connection

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 18:13:20 +0200, Adnan Hodzic <adnan@foolcontrol.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> > Adnan,

> >> No I haven't, no they don't have idea about this as I already
> >> mentioned I didn't have time to contact them earlier.
> >
> > you are joking, right?
>
> No I don't joke when we're talking about this kind of stuff. Please
> tell me the exact instructions on what you want me to do. All we want
> is uplink, without any cabling? Please confirm.
>
> Again as I previously mentioned, I really didn't get to contact them
> earlier, but I am about now, I find them to be serious institution and
> they will do as instructed in matter of hours.

My experience in setting up internet connectivity, and coordinating with
telcos has shown time and time again that initiating this contact as
much in advance as possible is *the* most important thing to making it
happen. Secondary is keeping that communication open by pestering them
on a regular basis in a way that establishes a good rapport with the
people who are doing the work. Even when I have had deep connections
with telecommunications unions who do the actual work, the time to
provision and resolve issues is not something that can typically be done
in a matter of hours. Often the required bandwidth cannot be achieved
without significant work done ahead of time.

I have never setup an internet connection in Bosnia, but I have done so
in a number of countries, and I have never seen something acceptable
happen in a week or less. Many times I've seen things brought in
quickly, but they dont work, are incredibly slow, or are plauged with
packet loss.

I dont say this to discourage you, but rather to encourage you. It
sounds like you have a reasonable plan, and perhaps you have already had
a number of meetings and discussions with SARNET, I just am not aware of
them. But, I confess I am concerned as prior Debconfs have had these
things already resolved by this point!

Good luck! If we cant get the internet resolved, we will need to have
medical facilities available for handling a large number of internet
withdrawl cases.

micah