Re: [Debconf-team] Letter from NGO DIVA

Hi Josif,

[Just an personal view here, do NOT take this as a Debian response
of any sort]

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 05:02:31PM +0200, NVO DIVA wrote:

> Government of Republika Srpska gave us a guarantee to 150.000€. Please
> do note that besides paying expenses for accommodation and food for
> all the attendees that requested the same in this number there is also
> the cost of Venue (which is incredibly expensive); our own organized
> transport with buses/shuttles; DayTrip; T-Shirts/bags/printing; use of
> pools; transport and accommodation for reputable guests from Google
> and Canonical and as well as the accommodation of whole DIVA team.
> Members of NGO "DIVA" have done all their work for 2 years now on
> volunteer principles without any charges and all expenses we had so
> far to organize it all we covered using our own financial resources.

A lot of this stuff has been pushed by the localteam after the debian
team has told them repetitively we did not need them!
We do not need luxury hotels, pools, we weren't interested in
inviting people from Google (and apparently you have invited also
people from Canonical :?!) and a lot of more things like this.
You can find a lot of evidence of this thru the list archives.

My understading is DIVA was involved in all this as part of the localteam.

> Today we got a list of attendees that require accommodation/food, from
> very beginning we planned this whole conference using certain
> statistics and the number of attendees we got today is not congruent
> with the statistics/number we had,

Could you please share the numbers you have? I was taking a look
to the people now to start doing the room allocation and my impression
is we have less people than in dc7 and dc10 and a similar number
to dc8. Also, we have a larger number of people from the country where
the conference is being held coming than in previous years.
It would be also interesting to have a view to your budget, it might
happen we are counting some expenses we shouldn't?

Thanks in your help to make DebConf possible,
Ana