Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf11-localteam] Daytrip (again)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 16:13:46 +0100, Moray Allan wrote
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz
> <tiago@debian.org> wrote:
> > Moray, sorry if I misunderstood your message[0], but it seems you're
proposing
> > that Debconf supports rafting in daytrip, even after the team's agreement
in
> > the meeting on Monday 25 April that it wouldn't happen at all[1]:
>
> I personally have no interest in the rafting, and would be quite
> happy to see it forgotten altogether.  'My' proposal was simply
> trying to make concrete what the local team have proposed so that we
> can discuss it.  I have in fact spent a lot of time online over the
> last months, and while I was in Banja Luka, explaining why the
> rafting was not appropriate as the point of the main day trip, etc.
>
> But I *don't* think that it is universally discrimination against
> wheelchair-users to allow some other people to do something that they
> can't.  Or should we also ban all use of projectors/slides in the
> talks, as our blind attendees cannot see them?

I didn't say that. I'm limiting this matter on having Debian/Debconf
officially supporting non-accessible events. People do whatever they want.
However, Debconf sponsoring/supporting what they want is a completely
different thing. And that's my point. In Mexico people suggested taking the
*official* group photo into the swimming pool. I was not against people
enjoying the swimming pool, but it's non-sense having this official scheduled
event made in such a place, even knowing some attendees would be automatically
kicked out from the photo.

> To be clear, if you read what I wrote, you would see that this
> proposal was based around a great majority of people *not* going
> rafting, but allowing a few people who wanted go rafting to do so.
> The local team's proposed place for the day trip lunch overlooks the
> rafting course, so this doesn't require separating people.

I read that. Reading again, I'm still not convinced that it's a good idea for
Daytrip having:

* People doing rafting
* People sit and chat around rafting place and watch the rafting people by
choice
* People sit and chat around rafting place and watch the rafting people by *no
choice*

My energy for this debate ends here. I'm not able to be clearer than I'm
trying to be.

Regards,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz