Re: [Debconf-team] raising amount of travel sponsorship?

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Considering we have enough money this year I would suggest to give out 40 or
> 50k this year.

Yes, from a long time ago we planned to spend extra money on travel,
due to the government support.  (Bringing more attendees is much more
useful than spending money on extra nice things for people already at
DebConf.)

> (And still save 20-30k (_at least_) for Debian and DebConf12.)

Right, we should be trying to raise enough sponsorship to cover last
year's loss, and to cover initial DC12 costs.  We might well, for
example, have to pay DC12 hotel deposits quite soon, a long time
before DC12 sponsorship comes in.

> I'm not sure how to distribute the money best (ie when to reimbuse 100% of a
> request and when less). The general approach used in last years (putting the
> requests in two stacks and serving them top down until we run out of money)
> IMO worked well.

Whatever we offer to people, it is much better if we can offer the
money *soon*.  If we tell people they will get travel bursaries soon,
they can find much cheaper travel than later on.  Also, the people who
most need help with travel costs can't easily pay now then wait a few
months to be reimbursed -- we should be trying to get receipts etc. as
soon as people book, and to refund the costs as quickly as possible,
not just waiting until after DebConf to sort things out.

--
Moray