Re: [Debconf-team] Sponsorship brochure for DebConf11 - help?

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:16 AM, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Vedran Omeragic
> <vedran@vedranomeragic.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> just a friendly reminder, first version of the brochure is ready.
>> Basically we just added a template and copied most of the text from the
>> previous years brochure, so as far as design is concern, that's about
>> it. However, we didn't add the amount of money for sponsorship levels.
>> We still have to agree and find the best solution for our situation.
>>
>> Here's the link to HQ version of file (~300mb):
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16156843/dc11_brochure_en_hq_v0.1.pdf
>> and LQ (~30mb):
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16156843/dc11_brochure_en_lq_v0.1.pdf
>>
>> We did some proof reading, seems correct, but if you find any typos
>> please mail us.
>
> /melikes. Will proofread.

Minor issues:

page 3, there is a dot missing in the sentence ending in "all video
transmissions".

page 4, "brain- storm" should be "brainstorm"

page 5, "(in kind donations are also taken to" is truncated.

Major issues:

the PDFs are not vectorial at all, just concatenation of giant images.
That makes cut&pasting from them impossible and make them really huge
files (cut&pasting is important, you might expect our contacts will
snip bits of it when sending them around). The size is also an issue,
in comparison, last year's PDFs were 1.8Mb and 3.5Mb for LQ and HQ
versions, respectively and included two pages of photos at the end.
Huge image pages are an issue for rendering, in my 1G of ram netbook,
it hangs for a long while to display each page. Also, bandwidth might
be an issue with local sponsors, so better keep it lean and mean.

If we want to pursue the paper session idea (which /melikes) we need to add it.

No photos from DC10 in the brochure. They were included in past
brochures. I don't feel they are not merely decoration, they help
strengthen the point about camaraderie and the volunteer driven aspect
of the Debian project. You can pick some from
https://gallery.debconf.org/v/debconf10/ and ask the author's for
permissions to use them. For last year's brochure I purposely chose
photos where no person was clearly identifiable to avoid privacy
concerns.

and the most important for the last. Page 7 "Budget / The Need for
Sponsorship" that section is key and needs to be rewritten to address
the uniqueness of the current funding situation. The current text is
just  a quick hack on last year's text but more work is needed. I'd
copy the text here for discussion but I cant cut&paste (see first
bullet ;-) and the source is not available on the SVN (can you keep it
in debconf-data/dc11/sponsors for example? what program is needed to
edit the source file?). If you can bring that text here we can discuss
it.

P.