Re: [Debconf-team] debconf10 is _11th_ debian conference

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
I think now is a good time as any to take a good decision about what
the long name of the conference will be, and have everybody use that
name everywhere.

I'd say that DebConf is the full name, not just an abbreviation of a longer name we forget to use, but I agree that it makes sense to have a standard *description* to use when that name alone isn't enough.

I agree that removing the "Developer" part is a good idea (I don't
know how it got there, anyway)

Well, DebConf *is* a conference focused on developer-side issues (not just for official DDs or just for packagers, of course, but counting all Debian contributors as 'developers') -- it's quite different from how you'd design an event/conference for regular Debian users, which is perhaps more what the Debian Day events have been aimed at.

In the past, I've used "Annual Debian International Conference", which
might be a bit too long.  I guess "Annual Debian Conference" is a good
name as well.

Writing "DebConf, the annual Debian conference" sounds fine to me.  As above, I think that "DebConf" is the established name itself, so the explanation of it doesn't all need to be capitalised.

It appears that one of the previous press releases had in About DebConf, "DebConf is the Debian Project's developer conference".  If people don't like mentioning the word "developer", it might possibly be worth mentioning "Debian Project" like that, rather than just "Debian", as another way to clarify that it's a conference to help the project, rather than just to present Debian to outsiders, as readers might otherwise assume.

--
Moray