Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] Travel sponsorship BoF: minutes

On 23/08/10 at 06:34 +1200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On su, 2010-08-22 at 14:23 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > I think it's totally reasonable to use our projects funds wisely. That is, if
> > you get or apply for travel sponsorship, to help looking for good prices.
>
> Given that finding good flight prices is hard, would it be worthwhile to
> get a travel agent to arrange transportation for everyone? A good agent
> might be able to find much better deals than most people, and might not
> be too expensive.

On the other hand, the fact that people have to pay themselves makes
them more likely to feel responsible about it. If Debian paid on behalf
of Debian, I feel that more people could then change their minds about
attending.

Another option would be to allocate sponsorship for a given trip, to
register the best price when sponsorship is awarded (it's not that hard
using Kayak, for example), and to sponsor for a maximum of "best price +
10%", for example.

L.