Re: [Debconf-team] Volunteering tasks, report back

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:05:52 -0400, Gabriella Coleman <biella@nyu.edu> wrote:
> Finally, we will have a second front desk by the Computer Science
> Department entrance. Once I find out the hours and other logistics, I
> will start a wiki for staffing that area. I am somewhat concerned that
> we won't be able to find enough volunteers for a second front desk. Any
> suggestions as to how we can recruit even more volunteers would be
> appreciated.

In an attempt to kill two birds with one stone, how about making that
into the "Merchandise Desk", and allowing people to sell T-shirts and
stickers and the like, with the profit largely going to DebConf funds.

That gives people who volunteer for the task a reason to be there beyond
the absurd-doorman role, since they'll know they're directly benefiting
DebConf, and it will give people a reason to go there, so the volunteers
will get to meet loads of people and have a chat too.

Also, anyone with stuff to sell will be a soft target for volunteering,
and can be persuaded to recruit volunteers for us if they don't fancy
sitting there themselves.

Given that we know how many items we start with, and the selling price,
I don't see that there should be much of a problem with trust about
handling money, but then again, having done similar stuff with almost total
strangers manning the stands at UK Debian conferences, where we'd often
take several thousands of pounds, and have it around the place in cash,
I'm confident that this is not something we should be concerning
ourselves with too much -- this is not a normal crowd of people, and we
can take advantage of that.

I'm happy to _own_ this problem, if anyone else is paranoid about there
being problems -- to the extent that I'll offer to reimburse anyone that
feels ripped off at the end of the week out of my own pocket.  That's
how confident that I am that there will be no problems.

Cheers, Phil.