Re: [Debconf-team] Please move Debconf video training to beginning

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 03:16:25PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Hi Michael--
>
> On 07/07/2010 10:24 AM, Michael J Daniel wrote:
> > Please consider moving the Debconf video training from the 6th day to
> > the 1st day.
> > This information will be more valuable to participants at the beginning
> > of the conference,
> > rather than when the conference is almost over.
>
> Are you part of the debconf video team?  (i'm asking because i really
> don't know, and i'm trying to get the context for this request)
>
> My understanding was that this was as much a "tour" (e.g. getting people
> involved for future years and to replicate v-t's work for other
> conferences) as it was a training for this conference.
>
> I'm assuming that there will be other training events during debcamp
> (before debconf starts, that is) to get the current year's team in shape.
>
> edrz, can you speak to this?
>
> Hrm, reviewing penta, i see that there is a submission note:
>
> >> The DebConf Videoteam would like to run several instances of this
> >> event: Once or Twice during DebCamp as a check of all the systems and
> >> training for volunteers; Perhaps during Open Day (or whatever we are
> >> calling it this year) to show off our tools; and again towards the end
> >> of the conference as a follow-on to the Conference Video talk (637).
>
> i've just corrected the ordering between 637 and 638 (637 should have
> come first, and now it does), but we don't have the suggested other
> instances of this event.
>
> edrz, what should we do about this?  do you want to submit
> debcamp-specific events that we should schedule and publicly announce
> via penta?

My thought was mainly to have them in a schedule somewhere. It didn't
occur to me that penta wouldn't allow the same event to have multiple
instances. I'll put in several training sessions to be scheduled during
DebCamp.

> if so, do we want to do that for other events as well?

Probably not.

> And does the video team need another instance of training on DebianDay too?

Probably not. It was just an idea in case there weren't enough talks to
fill in DebianDay, which doesn't seem to be an issue.

> Sorry to have more questions than answers,

Not at all, thanks for asking and I'm sorry for submitting a confusing
event. :-/

-edrz