Re: [Debconf-team] [Jon 'maddog' Hall] Trip to NYC

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 04:36:21PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> >> +1
> >
> > +1
>
> Richard,
>
> There seems to be some level of consensus that, in the abstract, this
> is desirable. Can we pull it off? If so, what would be the added cost?
> (I know we do have some money set aside for unexpected costs).

Money - it would cost us, but our budget is imprecise anyway.  Not a
huge deal except for the deadline months ago.

The issue was always about being able to change what we reserved.  Had
we known+decided 24 hours earlier, it could have been put into the
sheet we sent them.  Now, they have the attendee list and are already
making up packets and keys, so exceptions require manual work on both
of our parts- us and them.  It also introduces a lot of chances for
errors in the changes.

We don't what changes they will accept (and this is unrelated to
payment).  We've been directing people to our list of nearby and
checked-out hostels.

I called today and asked, but I can't yet say how much flexibility we
will have, the contact has to ask.

I'm sorry there isn't better news, but there was a deadline, we worked
to give a couple of extra days, but the way CU housing works, there's
a point we are going to have to start saying no.  People should assume
that point is now, and be thankful if we so happen to be able to do
anything.

- Richard