Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] About BoF scheduled not on time

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:19:52 +0200, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Montag, 12. Juli 2010, Richard Darst wrote:
> > Hm - that's unfortunate.  It's a waste to have a room but lock people
> > out of it just because there are cameras in it.  Let's work during the
> > camp/conf and see what we can do.  There will be no shortage of
> > information saying "don't expect video" [0].  One proposal was to just
> > not put them in penta, and just use some sort of wiki or board system
> > only to let people know they are empty and do sign-ups.
>
> It wont work.

Its going to have to, and we have already spent far too much time in the
last months discussing this and scheduling things to re-open it
now. This would have been a good argument to bring up over a month ago,
but I'm sorry its too late now to do this.

> People use irc and if, say the release team holds a bof there, there will
> surely be someone on irc requesting to turn on the video, as the video setup
> is there and that person wants to participate. A totally reasonable request
> so to say. And then the audio needs to be adjusted and the camera pointed and
> then the videoteam is working again, instead of using the break for relaxing
> or fixing the setup or whatever.
>
> Been there, done that.
>
> Believe me, it wont work.

Ok, I believe you it did not work, and that you expect this again in the
future.

If someone comes on IRC and requests that the video is turned on, too
bad. Its reasonable for them to request it, and reasonable for it to be
denied. Don't stress about it, don't stretch yourselves by not agreeing
to do it. Its a hard line, but it must be drawn.

It seems to me that the break down has been the video team caving to
these last minute requests, rather than sticking to a "NO". So, you are
going to have to change that, not all of debconf.

micah