Re: [Debconf-team] WRL (debit card) phone chat

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debconf.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 06:22:34PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hmmm. I'm a little worried by the costs here, I must be honest. What
> precisely do we gain from using these cards?

We gain the ability to give a cash equivalent that won't get SPI into legal or
tax trouble.

So using cash that hasn't come through SPI would be another solution?

The overheads on this card proposal also sound high to me, for the small number of meals in question -- and it's not yet clear to me that we can definitely get money back off the cards usefully, although you seem to hope that we can.

> it's a cost of just over $3 per card, which is no worse than likely catering costs.

It seems to me that spending the money in a restaurant won't be free of 'catering costs' itself.  On the other hand, getting boxed lunches, if not ideal, would presumably be fine from an SPI point of view and also low overhead.

--
Moray