Re: [Debconf-team] proposed talks scheduling adjustment

On 07/07/2010 02:47 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> hey folks--
>
> On IRC, biella brought forward a concern about the scheduling of Eben
> Moglen's talk.

Hi,

I thought I would give a bit of background as to why I have requested to
move his talk. We had let Eben Moglen know that he could change his talk
if the time did not work out. I had a chance to meet with him yesterday
about his talk and his general participation at Debconf and it is clear
that he and the SFLC (Software Freedom Law Center) want an active
presence at Debconf. His talk, which will be about alternatives to cloud
computing, is something he would love to talk to developers about
post-talk and over the course of a number of days. Having his talk on
Day 6 is not ideal for allowing him to talk to developers in any depth
and breadth after his talk.

Given this and given that he has gone out of his way to help Debconf (in
sponsorship and will help with PR), I requested the change of schedule.
I think it makes a lot of sense to have him earlier and I was only able
to get the necessary information yesterday so apologize over the delay.

I am on this list but only as digest so please cc me if you need to respond.

Thanks,
Biella

Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
Department of Media, Culture, & Communication
New York University
239 Greene St, 7th floor
NY NY 10003
212-992-7696