Re: [Debconf-team] preliminary thoughts on Debian funding for DebConf10

Hi Stefano,

thanks for taking this (and a lot of other matters, btw) seriously!

On Montag, 5. Juli 2010, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is a background never-answered question, i.e.: "are
> DebConf moneys Debian moneys?", but I won't address it here (still, I'd
> like to discuss it with you later on, maybe at DebConf10, to set things
> straights for the future).

shall we just create an event for dc10 now?

About the other, more important points you've raised: DebConf9 generated a
huge surplus (I was surprised by the amount) because we had to change the
venue last minute and the new venue was free of charge and because the costs
in Extremadura, one of the poorest regions in Europe, were rather low.

New York City on the other hand has very high prices (which might be all
totally cheap for NYC, but they are not cheap compared to previous DebConf
locations). I think we very much underestimated this when chosing New York.

I also believe that the amount of sponsorship we collected has stagnated,
while (as said) the budget has increased. For future DebConfs we'll need to
make sure to decrease the budget again (and check those numbers from the
past).

Given that DebConf11 will take place in a "cheaper region" again, and that
we'll have quite some very good goverment support there again too, I'm
optimistic that DebConf11 will work out fine again.

cheers,
	Holger