Re: [Debconf-team] Coming to DebConf

Hi Pierre,

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:04:49AM +0200, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
> 			Dear DebConf team,
>
> I am working for Bearstech, where I'm an active hackable:1 developer.
> You may not know yet that hackable:1 is a Debian-based embedded
> distribution, primarily focusing on supporting the Openmoko Freerunner:
> - http://www.hackable1.org/
> - http://trac.hackable1.org/
>
> I would like to know if it would still be possible (and relevant) to
> give a presentation of the project during DebConf 9, even briefly (as a
> lightning talk?). We've already been presenting it at different events,
> like:
> - the 25C3: http://bearstech.com/files/hackable1_25c3.pdf
> - FSOSHRUDCON: http://bearstech.com/files/hackable1_fsoshrudcon.pdf

Thanks for you interest in DebConf!

Unfortunately, the primary talk selection period has passed, and while
it's not impossible for another official talk to be accepted, the
chances are pretty low at this point.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't attend and discuss your
work.  There are plenty of "DebConf Unofficial" talks given.
Unofficial basically means that we don't necessarily video stream
them, and they are scheduled after all other talks are scheduled
(usually scheduled very close to or during the actual conference).
These can be small, informal group discussions, or more formal
lectures.

You can register and submit a proposal for a timeslot yourself.  I'd
recommend asking on the debian-embedded mailing list to see who else
will attend, and what events are already scheduled-- and if there's
not, start something.  DebConf is very free form, and motivated people
like you drive most of it.

In terms of attendance, our sponsorship period is closed, and we will
likely run out of beds for professional attendees.  However, if you
arrange your own accommodations in Cáceres, you can register for
DebConf as a Non-Hosted Independent (for free), and attend all talks
and join the development fun.

Thanks for your interest in DebConf, and I hope you can make it,

- Richard