Re: [Debconf-team] Accomodation for Blind Developer attending the conference

(CC'ing you in case you're not subscribed)

Quoting Sam Hartman (hartmans@debian.org):

> Hi.  It looks like I'm going to be able to attend both debcamp and
> debconf this year.  I'm very excited; I just confirmed that I've freed

Hey Sam,

Just saw that in your blog and that's definitely great news.

> Getting to the conference.  I have not yet booked flights.  My plan is
> to e-mail people flying in on the 16th and see if I could get help

Seeing your blog post, I was thinking "hey, if Sam is arriving on
the 21st, I will definitely arrange my schedule to be able to help him
in case that would be needed". So, well, I think that most people
going to Debconf would think the same.

As a consequence, posting to debconf-discuss is very likely to catch
attention by people arriving on 16th. That would be my recommendation
unless you want to avoid a too public statement about this.

> from any of them to the train station.  Most of the people on the
> travel wiki seem to be flying in from other parts of Europe It might
> be easier to coordinate with someone also flying in from the US.

Flying from the US or from Europe makes few differences,
actually. It's quite likely that you'll land in the morning or at
least around noon. I would definitely recommend such schedule that allows
to easily catch the 16:25 Talgo train, which is by far the most
convenient way to get to Caceres.

You'll arrive either at terminal 4S or Terminal 1 or 2 in MAD
airport. Arriving at T4S implies a fairly long travel through the
terminals, including an automatic train from T4S to T4. On the other
hand, as these two terminals are very recent, I expect them to be
accessible and the signs and directions to be usable by blind
persons. Both these terminals are mostly used for Iberia flights and
flights of airline companies that are Iberia partners in their alliance.

T1 or T2 may be less adapted as they are much less recent.

But, here again, syncing with someone from Debconf arriving on the
same day would help. And, of course, syncing with someone coming from
the US the same day to be on the same flight would be the best to
do. Maybe some of the NYC Debconf 10 organizers?

> I suspect it won't be a problem getting around inside the conference,
> but if I do run into trouble, I could really appreciate help from you
> guys.

Knowing how Debconf works, I have no doubt you'll get any needed
help. As a matter of fact and as I haven't personnally mentioned any
preference in my registration, I'd be delighted to share my room ;
knowing in advance that it would not only be a way to be a kind of
assitance, but also a *great* way to actually learn things myself.