Re: [Debconf-team] Open Day talks

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 01:31:56PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 02:08:09PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> > Apart from this, I've seen a number of "rejected" talks which were
> > marked "DebConf Unofficial"... Why were they rejected?
>
> We were only marking as "accepted" those talks which deserved the official
> status of being in the preplanned schedule and proceedings, etc. The set of
> "rejected" talks includes those which would be perfectly fine as unofficial
> talks as permitted by available time and space, as well as those which would be
> better suited to OpenDay/DebianDay, as well as those which don't belong at this
> conference at all. Does this answer your question?

I'd say that Open Day selection people should also be able to mark
things as "official", then.

As a side note, I noticed how all of {"advertisement" via in published
proceedings/printed schedule, video recording, travel sponsorship} are
all coupled by being called "official".  For some Open Day talks we'd
probably want to include them in official schedule, etc, since we want
people to know what is coming, but perhaps not record/provide travel
sponsorship to hear them.

(I thought the same was true of some other talks, too, but as I'm sort
of an outsider this may already be how it works.)

- Richard