Re: [Debconf-team] Some thought: Pentabarf

Just a few thoughts on this.

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 07:59, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

> And if you force them to enter dates, they will choose bogus ones. (And forget
> updating the right ones when they know.)

This was one of the points that kept floating in my mind during dc8.
It's a difficult problem to ask for dates: you have dates important
for bus scheduling, dates for sponsored food+lodging, and also you
need to freeze them at some point. This problem hit us this year, and
we need to think how to do it better. The damned javascript that
limited the dates (I wrote it) showed that it wasn't a good choice. We
need something that at some point becomes a signed paper, i.e.: no
more changes to it, and if you don't honour it, you'l be penalised.

>> Also, from the admin side, there were lots of reports that I needed.
>> Most were done by sgran (THANKS), some where done by des (THANKS too),
>> and some by Ganneff (THANKS as well).  But I really felt crippled by
>> not being able to do the queries I wanted when I wanted them, and
>> having to have some of the admins work for me.  I think that a better
>> solution needs to be found for this.

I spoke with sgran about this. He told me that the database schema is
so complex that's difficult to give (and track) read access to
non-sensitive areas. Other way could be to have automatically
generated public exports that let people work. I do really think that
opening the database somehow is the way to go to lessen the dependency
on penta-admins, and to make the orga-team work easier.

And yes, the penta UI desperately needs some love :) The thing that
bothers me the most is that it's not navigable, I need to remember (or
write down) URIs and sometimes I forget that the reports are already
there when I need them

My ARS ¢ 2

--
Martín Ferrari