Re: [Debconf-team] Some thoughts: DebianDay

Le mardi 19 août 2008 à 13:41 -0300, Margarita Manterola a écrit :
> So, the proposals for next year's DebianDay:
>
> 1) Do *NOT* do it at the end of DebConf.  This was a BIG mistake on
> our side, we were too tired to do things properly, and it took away
> one resting day for us.
>
> 2) Do *NOT* do it at a different venue.  DebianDay was not recorded
> because it was too much effort to setup everything again there.

While it made sense to move Debian Day to try to fit with JRSL, and it
made sense to hold it in Buenos Aires rather than Mar del Plata, those
obviously did make it more work.

Presumably there would be a smaller audience for a Debian Day in Cáceres
than in Buenos Aires or Edinburgh, as it's a small city?

> 3) Before deciding anything, think if it's really worth it.  We don' t
> seem to be able to attract the "Decision Makers" that we state that
> come to DebianDay.  Only Debian users, and not many of them.
>
> 3) If you are going to do it, someone has to be in charge of
> organizing it, getting the speakers to talk, and giving it a lot of
> press.

Ideally this should be someone who's *not* working heavily on other
areas of the conference.  But of course if you have someone capable of
organising a great Debian Day you'll probably want them helping on
DebConf itself, so this comes back to the 'is it worth it given our
resources?' question.

> I think that it might be better to group together the DebConf talks
> that do not require to be an active contributor, and declare that day
> the "Open to community" day.

While I'd agree with trying that, I'll note that the potential downsides
to this are not having enough space -- if the venue is just the right
size for DebConf it won't have enough room for a lot of extra people --
and security of laptops etc. if full attendees and people coming off the
street are all mixed up.  Also a day like this probably wouldn't be
suitable for the 'decision maker' type of outsider we have claimed to
aim for, but as you say we haven't really been getting that kind of
person along anyway, just interested LUG-member types.

--
Moray